Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Comics

I´m not up to comics so I don´t read them. But our next assignment in English was to get some comic book in the library, read it and see how it is build. My preferences were something colorful  and short, easy reading and well pictured. Unfortunately there is small selection on comics up there so instead of looking something I like, I decided to choose absolutely opposite. I choose black and white comics. My choice felt on a "Shangri-La", comic book by Marc Bryant & Shepherd Hendrix. Is has interesting scenario and easy to read. The main character is a famous rock star Correy Stinson who splits from his band. Well, the band went on much greater success without him. The company who eager to get profit from Correy's last album takes out a hit on him. The funny thing happened: the assassin who was hired to do the job was actually Correy's fan. Instead of killing him, they run together. 

Coming back home after classes I watched a History Channel. I have never heard the name "Shangri-La" in my life and have no idea of what it is. But what I see on TV? An hour-long documentary about Shangri-La, a place in China's Yunan province which was named after the fictional place in James Hilton's well-known novel "Lost Horizon". It caught me even more than the comic itself :) so I googled it and found some info about that place. Here you can read an article about Shangri-La place. And also this link here ---> Shangri-La: Paradise on Earth <--- with beautiful photos gives us some info about that mystical wonderland in southwest Chinese province of Yunan. 


I will say that I´m not really fond of the comic I chose in the library but it definitely opened another horizon for me, another Shangri-La. And I will try to look for more info about that mysterious place :)

2 comments:

eTryggvadottir said...

It´s so fun when you find something interesting from another so uninteresting thing :) Shangri-La looks like a nice place.

Unknown said...

yes, indeed. Maybe one day I will go there..haha))

Post a Comment